Wednesday, January 10, 2024

Pantone Project Recent Receipts

I've been remiss in posting about the Pantone Project blocks that friend Jaye has been giving me over the last few months. Here's a picture of them all in a group. Fun fabric choices, huh? 

I just want to note here that we started this project way back in July 2022, which is somehow, just absolutely wild to me. My internal clock is really off or something. 
As I remember it, we intentionally didn't set an end date or anything, so it's not like we're behind schedule or anything. Something about not putting undue pressure on ourselves to finish-finish-finish. It is a little strange to have embarked on such a long-term project though. I think it's good thing to have a mix of projects with different time horizons.

I have to keep reminding myself that it's about the process, getting to learn how to make these particular blocks and to color match fabrics to a color on a card has been a great challenging experience. The color matching reminds me a lot of one of the acrylic painting exercises Jaye and I did in art class back in our college days at Cal. The exercise as I remember it was to choose a color image from a magazine, glue it on one part of a page and then mix our paints until we exactly matched the colors in the photo on the page. Very fun thing to learn, really gets the color wheel into your brain permanently.

Honestly one of the best parts is the frequent written communication by postcard. It's rather unique these days. I really enjoy jotting down thoughts and observations on a card, popping it in the mail and then getting one from friend Jaye. A lost art in the days of email and texting and so forth.

Now to get back to making some more blocks to catch myself back up!

No comments: