Saturday, January 27, 2024

Green Shape 1 of 7

 

Back to getting my quilt done for SAT 24, it's been languishing on my design wall. You'll recall I assembled the background's five strips of grey fabric and then pre-quilted it with a different design in each strip. At that point it was quite oversized, and needed to be trimmed to the size 24"w x 36"h to meet the exhibit requirements. I didn't want to nail down where the green shapes were to be placed until I had the actual size and shape nailed down. So now that's the next step as well as the other plans I have sketched out. Including some hand-stitching, so I better get going on this to finish it in time. The super-bright neon pink Tula Pink unicorn pins are a real standout here, but no, I'm not going to add that in as a color to use.

First a stay-stitch all the way around about the un-bound un-faced edges.
Starting with the bottom right corner green shape, I did two colors of zig-zag, gone over twice for emphasis. 
Each of these seven green shapes is supposed to look like it has an opening up to the background. I first thought of using clear thread for those spaces, but I decided it wouldn't look very good in a zig-zag, so I matched the green of the shape instead.
A test piece of fabric for the grey-silver center that sits on the lower right-hand side corner of the quilt.
I'd say it looks pretty good, but I think it might need to be more substantial or of a very different texture to work. It's blending in too much with the background. I had originally thought of using my embellisher to add texture, or I may go for something like a wool instead. At least I"m working in it now.


No comments: