Tuesday, January 16, 2024

Two Big Blocks

 

I finished off sewing together the two big donation blocks (16" I think) for the BAM community giving quilt. Meeting is this Saturday and I wanted to turn them in.
It's amazing how much it shrinks up when you've sewn together 8 seams, 1/4" at a time really adds up.
I like how the two blocks look together, it will be interesting to see how the pattern of the whole quilt.
The 9x9 block, much less successful visually than the other one. The grey squares don't stand out enough to my eye. I hope I wasn't supposed to arrange the completely random fabrics in a certain way. There weren't instructions about that, so I just went for an even distribution of the repeated fabrics. But maybe overall it'll work.
I like the modern feel of this one a lot more.
I liked the way this corner looked on the wrong side when I was pressing the seams open.
There's some oddness going on with this white fabric, some strange variations in the weave or something. Also, as I was sewing the bigger pieces I was noticing that the edges were rolling up slightly and there was a huge amount of give in all directions when stretched. I'm pretty sure it's a mostly cotton along with some lycra. Aiyiyi, whhyyyyy? It turned out mostly square so it worked out on this block, but sheesh alive. I know we're working with donated fabrics and all, but this should have had a warning. I'm glad I'm not sewing this quilt top together or quilting it, no thank you very much. I'll leave that to others who are better equipped to handle that specific sort of quilting.

No comments: