Thursday, July 07, 2022

Pantone Project Begun

 

The Pantone Project that I've mentioned previously is based on this lovely box of 100 color chip postcards. Friend Jaye and I each have a box of them and we're sending them to one another at fairly regular but random intervals. It's just really a lot of fun to both write and receive postcards.Very "old school" of us I know, but we like what we like.

These are the six that I've received so far. They're on top of the background fabric we've chosen to use for this project. The plan is to make 2 blocks in fabrics that match the color, one for ourselves and one for the other. We're using all of the block designs in Doreen Speckmann's book, Pattern Play. At the end of the project, we'll have 200 blocks to play with.

Sometimes, but not always, I take a picture of the card that I'm sending. I am writing down the number of the cards I send and receive. Maybe given the iffiness of them actually arriving in one piece will make that worth it in the end.


Our plans have gotten a lot more solidified so it was time to start in sewing. And that started with matching fabrics up. I'm trying really hard not to buy any new fabric for this project. I don't need a lot of fabric for the blocks, less than FQ worth, so I'm combing through my color boxes looking for good matches.

Don't these colors look good together?
When final choices get made, it's time to decide which of the 26 blocks to make.

We decided not to use just solids, but it can be hard to match up when there's a print. 

This picture was taken when the sun was coming in the window, so it looks a lot different than some of these other photos.
I'm really struck by how different these pictures look compared to what my eyes are seeing in person. Especially the color of the postcard, it doesn't translate well, perhaps because of the shine of the postcard versus the fabric?

2 comments:

Jaye said...

WOW! I seem to be on a yellow-green / lime kick. I'll need to change it up! I haven't kept track of what I have sent, but will from now on.

Julie Zaccone Stiller said...

I'm not upset about it, made it easier to track down the fabrics to match up. I guess keeping track is a good idea now that we know the USPS is having such trouble with our postcards.