Friday, July 29, 2022

Dog Damage

 

The quilted chuppah I made for my SIL and BIL way back in 2004 remains in a chewed-up state. I took a couple more pictures of the dog damage (puppy chewing issue that's now over) and am noodling on how to repair this. I just looked it up and I did the same thing and wrote about it here last year around the same time. So yes it is time to actually do something about it as it looks quite sad. 

The damage involves one corner, where the binding around one corner is gone (I hope it was tasty!).  I think that I could just make a new section of binding and kinda curve the corner a bit. It doesn't hang completely straight so I think it wouldn't be super noticeable that the corner is no longer "square."

This damage is a bit harder to fix. I think that I could make an insert quilted piece that would fit, maybe satin stitch it into place. And perhaps stitch in the words "Ginger Was Here". And then I could replace that bit of binding that's missing.

I don't want to take it away and bring it back to them, so I need to make the binding at home, and when I'm over at their place the next time, just hand stitch it on. The missing chunk will be the harder part to accomplish, they do have a sewing machine, so maybe I could take it down from the wall and get the chunk replacement sewn in securely. I guess it wouldn't be too bad to hand stitch it on, it's not like it's getting washed every week. But first I have to find some of the dyed fabric to use or dye some that'd be close.

Just to note that I'm not mad about it, not at all, they have it hanging up in their living room after all. The bottom edge was formerly just below the top of a couch which hid the damage. It was only noticed when they moved the furniture. This is just the real-world damage that happens to quilted pieces that are being used out in the real world and not rolled up in storage in my closet.

1 comment:

Jaye said...

It is part of the story of their life together as well. Marriages are sometimes rocky and this damage reflects that. It is so much better hanging up or in use than folded in a closet.