Monday, January 26, 2009

Following Your Fascinations

I'm a little late in posting this, my thoughts about the third chapter of the 12 Secrets of Highly Creative Women, to read more, be sure to go over to The Next Chapter.


This third secret: "Following your fascinations" is very challenging one for me. "Fascinations have great power to keep us devoted and engaged". The chapter is all about how we need to figure out what we are passionate about, listen to our intuitive voice, and to silence our doubts long enough to be able to take risks.

When I first read that that about taking risks, I thought uh,oh, I'm not going to like this chapter very much. I find it hard to take risks, and have to really push myself to get out of my own way a lot of the time. But she points out the difference between spontaneous, impulsive risk-taking and calculated risks. A creative person needs to take both types, not just the leaping into the unknown with no plan type. Okay, good, I can deal with that. A little self discipline here is what is needed, coralling oneself from the distractions of all the shiny,fun things on the sidelines and having a plan to making a new leap.


"And the truth is, if you don't risk anything, you risk even more." - Erica Jong


I think there is a lot that I'm holding back on trying, attempting, or beginning. And after reading this one chapter I'm realizing that I just need to break through that mini-wall of fear about failure, make a plan for following through and give it a go. Having a talent for worst-case-scenario thinking may be a plus here, I can imagine the worst and plan backwards from there...


What is it that you need to do, to take a risk? Once you've followed your fascination through all the safe waters and need to push your boat out into the bigger river?

6 comments:

Lisa said...

I love how you turn your worrying into a tool.

The last question - so profound. And unsettling. I have to think about that. Thanks for asking.

Donna said...

a course I did on design we did one mini project using fabric we loved, and the second fabric we hated... it was interesting to observe the dofferent feelings of resistance that each created :-)

Suzie Ridler said...

Risks are frightening, I have learned that the hard way. But it's OK to be scared and still risk anyway.

LissaL said...

Ooooh the "distractions of all the shiny,fun things on the sidelines" really spoke to me! It's so much easier than digging deep, taking a leap or for that matter going with the flow!

Anonymous said...

I really like how you turned the worry into a benefit instead! It's such wonderful changes in perspective that really make a difference.

Jamie said...

Wow, I love your succinct description of what this chapter's about. Perfect.

Risking with a plan sounds like a great idea. Plans can be a great tool for breaking down that mini wall!