Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A Beautiful Beginning

photo from Reuters.

I'm so proud of my country today, just beaming with pride, and filled with joy that we've finally passed one of the lines we needed to cross. Sometimes it is forgotten how young our country really is, compared to so many others, but now I am wondering: Are we finally growing up past our troubled teenaged years? Seems like it maybe...




The most stirring part of the brilliant inaguration speech to me was this part:


"As for our common defense, we reject as false the choice between our safety and our ideals. Our Founding Fathers, faced with perils we can scarcely imagine, drafted a charter to assure the rule of law and the rights of man, a charter expanded by the blood of generations. Those ideals still light the world, and we will not give them up for expedience's sake. And so to all other peoples and governments who are watching today, from the grandest capitals to the small village where my father was born: know that America is a friend of each nation and every man, woman, and child who seeks a future of peace and dignity, and that we are ready to lead once more. "



With fingers crossed that it comes to pass.

And on a girly, fashion-conscious level: do we have a stylin' first lady or what? Her outfit is just beautiful, so appropriate and fresh, (I'm coveting those green gloves!), apparently the designer Isabel Toledo didn't know that Michelle Obama would be wearing her design. That would make your day wouldn't it?!

And on a personal, admittedly petty level, I'm so relieved and glad to finally get to remove the Bush countdown clock from my sidebar.

2 comments:

Laume said...

I loved that part of his speech as well. Also, the part where he quoted the bible - "but now it is time to put away childish things".... wow.

And yes, I noticed those green gloves almost FIRST THING when I turned on the television this morning. I agree - she's VERY stylin'!

jovaliquilts said...

It was SUCH a great day! I feel like we have emerged from some terrible ordeal and can now get on with things.