Wednesday, September 21, 2022

A Fond Farewell


 I made my almost last trip to a favorite LQS (Local Quilt Store) yesterday, Modern Handmade in Scotts Valley is going out of business soon. I had a gift certificate to use up, so I made the attempt. They are giving a very generous 30% off everything. There was still a whole lot of fabric on the shelves, but the cardboard empty bolts were piling up. They told me their recycling bin was 100% full of them. I snagged the one remaining Quilter's Select ruler (Ooh now I have 3) and a big spool of Aurifil thread in a nice neutral gray.

All the half yards of brown in the front are either Painters Palette or Kona, You can really see the difference between these two types of fabric, It really highlights that the griege goods are quite a bit different to start with because you can't have a sheen on a finished fabric if you don't start with a tighter weave and specially treated thread. I have plans for using these in some of the Pantone Project and in a design I'm working on using browns instead of grays in a modern solids quilt.

Bigger pieces of fabric in the back are the yellow/grey to use in my yellow/grey quilt, a really nice grey with dashes, more of the silver splotchy grey I used in the Safe at Home quilt,  A great orange print to use for binding my Orange Bullseye, and a very very bright red. I'm interested to see if this retains its color when I was it!

I'm going to miss this store and I'm sad they're going away. 

No comments: