Friday, May 21, 2021

Colors of the Year


 As you may already know (since we're almost halfway through 2021!) The 2021 Pantone Color of the Year is instead Colors of the Year for 2021 as in two colors. They've chosen PANTONE 17-5104 Ultimate Gray + PANTONE 13-0647 Illuminating. I quite like the page Pantone has for designers on how to use this combination in a palette.

I figured that other quilting bloggers have already made the same attempt to check out these colors, (again it's almost halfway through the year!) so I googled and found a couple which are fun to see.

I really really love this grey and yellow color combination and actually have a quilt project in process that I started collecting fabrics for in 2015 that I think is pretty much those colors. (ahead of my time?!) It unfortunately hasn't gotten much further past the I have a pattern, and have the fabrics chosen stage.


Well, I have a label on a box that it's in, that counts for something, right? But revisiting it because of the Colors of the Year feels a little auspicious and maybe it's finally finally time to get this quilt made.

This is the pattern that I was planning to use for this grey and yellow quilt project, Box Party. And I think this triangles fabric was going to be the outer border fabric. Or maybe the circles one below.

It's kind of fun to try and figure out if my specific "weird" yellow that I was trying to work with is really close to Pantone Illuminating or not. And whether or not the medium to light grey I chose are close enough to Ultimate Gray. But I'm not spending $12.50 to get a fabric swatch from Pantone though. So I'm relying on my various screens and hoping the resolution and color translation is close enough.  


I remember when I made my choices for this fabric pull going through a bunch of my grays and realizing that some of them were way too brown or a little too green or just too purple to go with the true gray I wanted. But looking at these in the sunlight, I think I'm still pretty far off. 

And the range of yellows is pretty wide as far as acidy-green to browny-yellow to sunshiny-yellow. I think I might have been going for adjacent shades so that the quilt wasn't too same-ish looking.


No comments: