Friday, September 23, 2022

Green Texture




I realized I hadn't checked in on my illustrated to-do list for the month in a while and that prompted me to pull out the long-planned project of making four new couch pillows. The project box contains zippers, thread and loads of Fabmo finds in various shades of green and allll sorts of fabrics. The assortment is rather wild. There's pre-quilted linen, heavily embroidered line, ultra suede, silk, wool, poly+blends, all various weights and all random sizes. Every time I went and worked at one of the Fabmo events I would pick through and find all the coolest/weirdest greens.

I just grabbed some and sewed them together pretty randomly. Then I pieced together some batting scraps and quilted it. I liked the look of the pre-quilted surface of the Jawbreaker and Lucky Charm pillows I made two years ago. My idea for using all these various fabrics is to achieve a real smorgasbord/grab-bag/melange´sort of look. They're all variously stretchy in different ways so it was a bit tough to keep it all exactly lined up, but I got close enough for my purposes.

The pillow blanks are 16" square, so I'm shooting for 17" square to give me zipper and seam allowance. I have to note that it felt kind of funny cutting this stuff with my rotary cutter. I had to press a bit harder, but it got through it okay. I wonder if the challenging materials will affect the wear of this rotary blade? Note: the circle you see in the right hand side is the lighting fixture that's above my worktable. I had to turn out the light to take the picture.

I used my enormous Creative Grids non-slip 20.5" square ruler for this task. I'm really glad that I impulse bought that on Massdrop (R.I.P. 😢😢) back in the day.
I used the hourglass print to guide a lot of the quilting lines. Printed linen/flax, embroidered linen/silk, an intensely bright orange neoprene overlaid with green mesh meet up and mingle. Imagine this as a really eclectic cocktail party guest list. These are going to be truly texture-riffic pillows! All the better for me to sit and pet while I watch tv. 
 

No comments: