Monday, April 17, 2023

Designing Chaos

 

1,3,5,8,6,9,7,2,4.
Here's what Slopes looks like when I switch up the position of the rows. I jotted down each version just because. This is the order when numbered from the original top to bottom position of the rows: 1,3,5,8,6,9,7,2,4..

1,3,5,8,6,9,7,2,4.

Here is: 2,5,7,6,3,9,1,4,8 Pretty different, huh?

2,5R,7,6R,9.3,4,1R,8

Next, I wanted to see what would happen if I reversed the direction left to right of some of the rows. So this is the same row order as above with some of the rows reversed right to left: 2,5R,7,6R,9.3,4,1R,8 The overall emphasis on the diamonds turns into two colored triangles. Very choppy looking to me.

 2,5,7,6,9,3,4,1,8

And then this is the final version: 2,5,7,6,9,3,4,1,8 It makes me think of shark fins (or teeth), sharp sharp sharp angles. I do kind of like that one lavender diamond in the upper right.

Original and Now Final 

After looking at all these versions, I guess I really do like the original one the best. But it was fun to see how much chaotic-ness ensued just by moving things around. I honestly am surprised a bit about that, I guess my original block placement design was more "planned out" than I'd realized. With this much action going on with the colors and shapes, a bit of considered planning was worth it. 

Honestly, this little experiment here was worth the price of admission to me. I've demonstrated to myself that my version of planned or controlled chaos is worth the time it takes to design, to me. Of course I know that, but sometimes one forgets...it took a lot of work to make something big enough to play around with in this way, but well worth it. Now to sew this thing together!

No comments: