Friday, April 28, 2023

Burn Grow Slide



As I posted about earlier, I prepared to make a 24"w x 36"h art quilt for the Climate Change Challenge that Bam is going to show at the San Mateo County Fair.  Going off of this sketch of "Burn, Grow, Slide" I packed some browns, red-browns and black fabrics to use.
This was the last project that I worked on at the retreat, I packed up my machine and made space on my table to spread out. As you can see I used A Lot of pins and filled in one of the three columns.  This is the one representing "Burn". 

My sketch in this section was based off of this screenshot of a video of the burned redwoods in Big Basin State Park from the August 2020 CZU fire. The tree on the left is the one that I zoomed in because of the interesting charred/not-charred shapes and sections.

I took several pictures showing the details in case pins shift or pin out.
I had stitched the rough outline of the three columns on the batting/backing already.
Here's how it looks up on the wall, and I'm pretty happy with it. I'll work on stitching down these pieces before I move onto the other two columns.

No comments: