Wednesday, February 23, 2022

Wandering Wednesday - Two-for

 

Saturday it was time for a one hour drive to go to my first in-person quilt meeting in two years. Kinda wild  to think about it in those terms, it has been awhile being around groups of people indoors. The Bay Area Modern Quilting monthly meeting was happening in a hybrid sort of way, some people were participating online and some in person at a really nice meeting room in the Redwood Shores library. This is a view off of the back deck, it was a very lovely day as you can see. There are trails for biking and walking that go out toward the SF bay. 

Yes, we wore our masks the whole time, except for a brief break for a brownie snack. It felt very safe, as far as one can re: Covid these days. And it was quite lovely to meet actual real people in person that I'd only met online. It is different.
The president of the group, Maria Warmerdam showed us her X/Y chain piecing technique. This is the quilt top she assembled during just one sew day using this method. By not cutting apart your chain-pieced blocks, and then rows, it's pretty helpful for keeping track of which block/row goes where.
I really liked this fountain in the back of the library.

And then nearby, I notice that there was a ship that's floating in front of the Oracle building in their lagoon. I guess it's a reminder that your boss spends a whole lot on racing ships around the world.

The next day it was time for a hike, and we were off to Quail Hollow Ranch once again. The pond is looking particularly pink at this time of year, due to some sort of algal bloom because of bad water flow/drainage, I think. A pretty wild contrasting color with the bright green grass, but the Canada geese did not seem to mind one little bit.
It's a little hard to see, but no, those aren't horses running around in the training ring, it's part of the local flock of wild turkeys. I guess they get a turn in the sandy ring.

2 comments:

Jaye said...

I never noticed that boat (ship??) before! I look at all the high rises and think about how empty they are.

Julie Zaccone Stiller said...

I just happened to see it when I was at one of the stoplights, it made me do a double take and then grab my camera.