Wednesday, February 16, 2022

Wandering Wednesday -Lime Kiln

 

Another weekend, another hike. We are on a roll sticking to our "hey let's hike every weekend" vow. It's pretty silly not to living where we do. It's not hard to find great places to hike within a short drive.
It was a hot day, nearly 80, so we went for a cooler hike, the lime kilns trail in the Fall Creek area was our choice.

The skinny third-growth redwoods are still quite beautiful. Hard to believe that this entire forest was completely cut down back at the turn of the 19th century.

Shelf fungi hard at work recycling.
This reminds me that I wanted to do a nature alphabet of pictures like this, X marks the spot.
We had to take a matching ponytail selfie. My DH's hair is now long enough to require a hair tie.
Just a gorgeous day for a hike.

After a bunch of uphill, we made it up to the lime kiln. There's a nearby hillside that was dynamited and then the limestone chunks were burned in this big structure. Cords and cords of redwood and Douglas fir were consumed to produce lime used in construction. The Santa Cruz Mountains lime was highly prized in San Francisco for smoothing plaster walls, there was huge demand when the city had to rebuild after the 1906 eathquake.
If you want to crawl in, you can get inside the old kiln structure. Go ahead, I'll wait.
Some of the entrances have been unblocked, people can't help themselves.
It's a rough yet sturdy structure.
Somebody tucked these little gnomes into a little crevice in the lime kiln structure. Cute, huh?
I had to take a sweaty selfie at the end of the trail because I was so pleased with myself for making it back up the hill. It was hot enough that I had to take my sweatshirt off and hike in a tank top...in February! Just plain crazy.

No comments: