Friday, February 18, 2022

Book Journey

 

Because of a project that friend Jaye and I are contemplating, I found myself a copy of a book she was referencing, Pattern Play by Doreen Speckmann. It's almost out of print, rather it's on print-on-demand status, which was a surprise to even see offered on Amazon? That's what I thought I ordered, but then an original vintage (1993) used print book showed up, which was perfectly fine with me! I think I must have clicked on the used button instead of the buy new button. 

According to what's stamped on the book's edge this book was formerly owned by Berrien Towne & Country Quilters, a quilt group from Stevensville, Michigan that's been around since 1983. Kind of cool, huh? Looks like a great quilt guild or group.

So how the heck did this book get all the way from Michigan to California? Don't worry, Julie Stiller, book detective is on the case...
This was handwritten on the first page, I'm assuming someone donated this book to the guild in 2005, probably a guild member. But then I'm guessing no one or not enough folks checked it out from the guild library for years and years, so they likely donated it to....
Goodwill. Here's the Goodwill price sticker still stuck on the edge. Looks like this was up for sale as of 9/27/21 for $1.99. I bought it for $5.75, in "used-acceptable" condition, which it most definitely is. And to make the trail even more complicated, it was sent to me from Houston, Texas. At some point this book got bought by a used book re-seller called Booktrolls.

There's also a hand-written price on the first page too, that was likely the original sale price. Some books back then didn't have a priceThe new price on Amazon is currently $20.88. Guess, I'm feeling lucky to have gotten it for $5.75 especially because....
The original template papers are even in the back of the book! Looks like no one ever bothered to take them out and use them. Honestly that would be kind of weird in a sort of library book situation to tear out and cut up part of the book. 
I guess that I'm going to be the one to go there and do that, after 29 years, these templates are coming out and getting used.

This may be quite possibly my favorite sentence ever in a quilt book.


2 comments:

Jaye said...

I hope you love this book! I took two classes with Doreen Speckman and feel so lucky to have done so. She was amazing! Let me know what you think!

Julie Zaccone Stiller said...

I think it's really well done, I like her approach. I remember how happy you were to take classes with Doreen, I'm glad you got that chance.