Friday, June 23, 2023

Dye Results

 

I stacked up all of the dye bath containers before pouring and rinsing out for a little before picture. So colorful! It's amazing how long these plastic containers have lasted, from back when we bought the enormous jars of peanut butter and mixed nuts. I really like having containers that have lids.
First up to rinse out, was the cotton tank top I'd poured the three different greens I was using to dye fabric had turned out. This is after rinsing, but before washing out.

This was a big thick sweatshirt that I left in the dye solution in a tray bucket with no lid, just a plastic bag over it. It was pretty hard to wash this one out because it was super heavy when it was wet. Pretty black huh? Just wait....
I think it turned out pretty well when washed out. This was using one of the black dyes, and you can see that it is not a "pure black" dye, but instead a mixture of many colors. That's why there's purple-y and blue-ish spaces. 

This sweatshirt was a cotton/polyblend so the dye only took up on the cotton which makes it not as dark. That's ok because you can still see the all-important CAL logo. I should have taken a before picture of this, it was very messed up, it had gotten left outside for months and had all sorts of disreputable stains that made it seem unclean even though it was. So now it's wearable again and sort of cool and definitely unique. DH is very excited about it.

Orange Crush dyed up as a very very intense red-orange. I'll be using this one in the Temperature quilt.
From left to right, Orange Crush, Atomic Fireball, Dye-na-mite (a pure red)

Three pieces of cotton print cloth and one tank top laid along them in the bottom of the picture. I'm very pleased with how all of them turned out. That green one over on the right is "Electric Green" which yeah, that tracks. The other two are Chartreuse and Apple Green.
Some variations in color separation, again these are not pure color dyes and you can see some blue areas or the more yellow areas.

Hooray, I'm back on the dyeing track and one of my toenails is a bright green! 

No comments: