Wednesday, March 15, 2023

Wandering Wednesday - Visions & Liberty Station

 

My annual trip to Visions Museum of Textile Art in Liberty Station was really fun. I took a Lyft over which is always an unusual experience for me.

This whole Liberty Station thing is such a terrific re-use of a former military base. It's a really lovely place to stroll around, wide tree-lined streets, sidewalks, etc. And it's fun to see how the original buildings are creatively put to another use. Like the Visions museum.

I love this bench, and sat on it as instructed. I won't share the photos I took inside, but I do want to point you towards one of the three exhibits, Topaz Collages. It's really worth reading about and taking a look at the images on the website. I was very moved by the subject and have been thinking about the beautiful combination of collage and stitch and how it was presented. 
I again stopped in an Apricot Yarn & Supply, did I buy yarn? Yes, yes I did. Do I knit or crochet? No, I don't, but I love this shop. It has such a nice vibe, lovely selection of yarn, and helpful owners. At some point I do want to knit and/or crochet. I guess I'm an aspirational knitter or crocheter at this point.
Then it was time for lunch, which was a short stroll away is Liberty Public Market, it's kind of like a food court, but with really good indie restaurants instead of chains. It was a former barracks, for the Naval Training Camp.
It's bright and airy and open feeling even with all the shops.
I got to sit outside in the sun and enjoy my falafel salad. And tried my best to ignore the airplanes taking off right overhead. That's the only drawback for this place, it's located right next door to the airport and is right in the flight path.
You Are Exactly Where You Need To Be, indeed.
This was one of the walkways into a bakery, I'm not sure what "The Ship's Bell" means on land like this, but it's rather cute. I'm glad they left the tile mosaic in place.
This sort of nightmarish lit-up Easter bunny was seen in one of the many vendor stalls in the Sea Hive Station,  which is formerly the naval base PX, so it's the size of a large grocery store. It's full of vintage and maker vendor stalls, each so different from the next.

No comments: