Saturday, March 25, 2023

Trimming the Slopes



It’s taken me a while to get down to trimming my blocks for the Color Collective quilt, Slopes. 
I was having trouble figuring out the instructions at first and had to watch the video several times as it wasn’t making sense to me in the written directions. I guess I really am a visual learner.
Now that I get it, it’s going much more smoothly and much closer to accurate.
I’m leaving notes for myself on the two stacks that I have left to trim.
All of these are so badly mis-trimmed that they’ll likely end up on the back of the quilt. I kind of like the diagonal stripes in this arrangement.
Here’s my two stacks of trimmed blocks, both lefties and righties.

I found that the new Latifah Safir HuRty ruler works very well for this. Having the quarter inch grid really is essential.

Some in use/action shots of the ruler. 
The blue painter's tape is there so that it’s easier to choose the right lines
.
I don’t know if I’m using the ruler exactly as directed, but it’s working for me.
This post is courtesy of the blazing fast internet connection at the Felton library. Our internet finally went out yesterday afternoon and the cell service is reminding me of the dial-up 90’s internet connection we had. We had to drive out to get giant tarps to cover the crumbling hillside before the next storm arrives on Tuesday. We’re thrilled to see the mobs of PG&E trucks and workers. 



 

1 comment:

Jaye said...

OK. Per my previous comment. I see the HuRTy. I have been working with it this week and I move towards a new donation quilt. I am struggling with the measurements for the initial cuts. I am struggling, but will sew some, then trim and see what happens.