Sunday, March 24, 2024

Final Project Quilting: Sláinte!

Here it is, Sláinte! all sandwiched up and waiting with the binding all ready to put on once I get the quilting done.
When choosing threads for the quilting I almost went with the orange, for another of the Irish flag colors, but since I don't have any white on here, it seemed like it would be a bit garish as I'm planning on doing embroidery stitches. I went with the darker green instead.


 Here's my final entry for Project Quilting this year. Sláinte! Made for the prompt Irish Chain using a whole bunch of the various greens I dyed most recently.  As it only had to be "based on" or "inspired by" the block design I went a little far afield. You can see one proper Irish chain block, but then it morphs from that.

The quilting was done with two directions of the same embroidery stitch. I thought it kind of looked like a chain. 

The binding was one of the hand dyed greens. I used Wonder Clips all the way around while using a machine embroidery stitch. In this picture the bottom row of squares look very blue, but they're actually blue green.

Worked out very well, I have to remember to use those clips the next time.  Here's a close up of the binding. I kind of wish I'd changed to an even darker green, but I still like it. 

I left this on our dining room table and came down this morning it was just glowing in the sun, like a patch of a greener than green field.
I used two of the embroidery curvy lines on this to represent all the "snakes" that remain in Ireland. Snakes as in Pagans that is, as Ireland has never had actual real life snakes. That whole St. Patrick story is pretty much just that, a story, cloaked in the usual allegory. 
Sláinte! and Cheers! to Project Quilting, I've really really enjoyed participating in all the challenges this year.  I hope they do it again next year.

3 comments:

Jaye said...

I really LOVE that chain embroidery stitch. It is wonderful. You have used it to good effect on your piece. I also like the curved stitching you used for the binding. Nice work!

Julie Zaccone Stiller said...

Thanks! That chain stitch was a total surprise when I was using an embroidery stitch and found that it interlocked when you back in the opposite direction. Maybe I'll do a demo post on it.

Jaye said...

That would be great! I don't see that stitch on my machine. Time for an upgrade? ;-)