Sunday, August 06, 2023

Community Scrappy Log Cabin

This month's Bay Area Modern Quilting Sew Day was Saturday, and I came prepared to sew some modern scrappy log cabin blocks using the Community Giving scrap stash. Peggy got us started with the above as a suggestion, which she got from Zen Chic.
I first made two nearly identical blocks, these are 13.5" square. It didn't occur to me that this wouldn't necessarily be the best thing since we were going for scrappy. I was just in the zone and thinking I'd be super efficient and get two blocks done.
I was just drawn to the blues in the scrap bin I guess. I was also cutting some more piecing for my Metro Twist, which are mostly blues and oranges, so that may have been the actual inspiration.
We use the room dividers as design walls. Everyone sewing added their blocks as we got them done. It got big fast with the large block size. I did one more block using some of the same blues along with a lot more orange (it can be spotted on the left).

We arranged and rearranged until we liked the look. There was some discussion about whether or not to add sashing to the block but we decided they looked fine butted up together. I helped sew the blocks and rows together. I think it turned out really well! Very happy and colorful. I think the solids used along with all the new and old prints makes it have that more modern look. Low pressure (doesn't have to be perfect) and very fun sewing along with the group.

 I also turned in my four Churn Dash blocks so those are no longer hanging around. 

No comments: