Thursday, August 17, 2023

Cut On Dotted Line?

 

Oh the joys of fabric panels. I decided to cut the new one up so I could mix it up with the previously purchased panel and see how it went together. Before I got to that point, I realized there might be a problem. Can you can see my issue already? The little dotted lines between the image blocks are placed right on the bottom of the image. If you cut on the dotted line line, as I did with the snow man, then when you sew, you'll lose 1/4" of the image. 

So is it better for these to cut out with a 1/4" around the dotted lines and use those lines as the sewing line? The chances of me actually sewing right on that dotted line are slim. Which would leave little printed black dashes which would really show on that white background.

I had already cut out the previous panel images, all on the dotted lines. But none of those images are running into the same issue, they're all very centered compared to the new panel's images. It's good to see they're really close to the same size, which would make them easier to use together in one quilt design.
I'd forgotten how great these animals on the first panel are, they're really cute aren't they? And peaceful too, somehow.
This is the other fabric I bought to go with the original panel.  A jelly roll of Moda Christmas prints, and a matching red, green and brown. The grey was stored along with it, but I can't remember if that was my plan or not. Probably.
These animals really make me happy. They're stylized in a way that is so simple, almost elegant, but to me they're not too cutesy. 

 Yes, they match pretty well, and I think the background fabric is even close enough for my eye in color. This new panel is also offered on a decidedly off-white background but these are both white (phew). 

It's quite a lot of cuteness but of slightly different types. Instead of mixing them up, I may have the animal panel featured on one side and the snowman/santa/reindeer/polar bear over on the other. I think I'll have to put them all up on the wall together to decide. And then it's time to design a quilt to use them well. EQ8 here I come.

2 comments:

Susan said...

I am also a fan of Gingiber's designs. Have many of her panels and tea towels. I used the cat panel to make a quilt for Irene.

Julie Zaccone Stiller said...

I love that cat panel design, I bet it made a great quilt. The Ginger tea towels are very tempting, I may put those on my list.