Wednesday, February 08, 2023

Two More to Embroider

 At the BAM Sew Day I picked up two new SJSA blocks to embroider. These two were made by adults and have extensive directions and notes and requests which is quite new to me. Normally I've gotten zero info from the block maker and have had to just proceed on my own. Every single block I've embellished for SJSA has taught me something new, I always research the issue that the block is about, it's been a good thing for me personally to learn about issues I might not have ever thought about.
This block is about the connection between humanity and nature. I'm looking forward to adding the phrase "We Are All Connected" as requested in the space between the trees.

This second one is about protecting trans kids which is a subject I'm very familiar with as one of my children is trans. Sometimes it's all I think about given what's going on in the political environment these days. As a parent, you just want your kid to be happy and healthy and safe, right? It's no different for parents of trans kids, but the threats out there are so enormous, there's a lot to overcome that most people have never spent any time thinking about. Being fiercely on her side and backing her decisions isn't hard, that's the basic job of a parent, right? But it's somewhat crushing to acknowledge the weight she carries of having to continually have to prove that her life has as much worth and value as anyone else's. So yeah! Protect Trans Kids! 
Here's an interview with Parker Molloy that explains a lot about this issue from a trans person's point of view.

No comments: