Sunday, February 26, 2023

No Snow Day But Hand Sewing Anyway

 

It's raining and in the 40's now, so there's only a tiny patch of icy snow left on the deck. Looks like snow-ma-geddon '23 is over for now.

So that means it's time to tell you about this super-cool hand sewing aid that I recently bought for myself. It was advertised in Sue Spargo's newsletter but I bought it directly from the maker, Lap App. It's basically a rest for your hands as you do hand sewing. It's very well-made out of sturdy yet lightweight Birch wood.  
It has two adjustment knobs to get it into just the right tilted position as well as a good height. They come with a lightly-padded fabric cover, but I bought one made out of Tula Pink fabric in colors I really like. The original cover is fine too, it's in the first picture. It also comes with a pattern to make your own cover. The two pegs sticking up are for putting spools of thread on them. The little silver circle to the left of the pegs is a magnet for your needle. 

This is the secret to the fabric cover not budging once it's on, there's a sheet of fine sandpaper glued on the main surface which is very grippy. What a smart solution. I was a little worried about having the wood resting on my lap but it doesn't hurt me at all and all the corners are very nicely rounded. I love how soft the un-stained wood is, it is almost the feeling of fabric. 

As I was using it, I realized that I am surrounded by things in nearly that exact shade of lime green. So I had to do a still life arrangement. The little pocket on the fabric cover is lime green, it looks like a good place for my embroidery scissors. A very well designed tool, I'm really enjoying using it.
I also bought a gizmo called the Bobbin Boat from them (also in lime green), it's flexible grippy plastic (or silicone maybe?) just like the purple bobbin ring thing on the left. I think this'll be a good thing to have in my go-sew bag.

No comments: