Tuesday, October 25, 2022

Happy 18th Birthday Dear Blog

41 Easy Birthday Cake Decorating Ideas That Only Look Complicated

 Well, it's that day of the year, my blog-i-versary. Way back in 2004,  eighteen years ago, I started this blog, a lot unsure about what exactly it would be for, and what purpose it would serve for me. It's been a lot of things over all of these years, but in the here and now, I see it as a record for myself, of what I've done and how much (or how little)  I've changed.

Back in 2004 I was 39 years old, my oldest was about to turn 11, my youngest was 9, our house was quite a bit smaller than it is now, and I had a teeny tiny sewing room. I had been quilting for a few years and had recently thrown myself into what was then called "art quilting" and wow was I ever into it!  I was sewing on my very basic Pfaff and doing a lot of dyeing and fabric design. I shared very very blurry photos on here, taken with our first digital camera.

And now I am still here blogging, now 57, my oldest is about to turn 29 (what!?), and my youngest is 27, our house has greatly expanded, and so has my sewing room. I have been quilting this whole time, and am on my second Janome. I'm not dyeing or surface designing like I used to and I have a hard to imagine back in 2004, totally great camera in my cellphone. 

It's interesting to look back at that first post where I referenced three blogs that had inspired to start my own, out of those three, one of them is still going. Musing In Textile, Dijanne Cevaal's blog as always been inspiring over the years. One of the others, is someone I actually know from the old days in a yahoogroups, and have even met in person (so wonderful), and she has been documenting her stuff mostly on Facebook. The other, I have no idea and honestly do not even recall her work I am quite sorry to say and well, the blog is just gone.  

The infinite cats website I highlighted in my second ever post is still up, but I'm not sure if it's being updated. But they are up to 1,856 cats in the chain which is quite a lot more than required for the cats to take the world back over according the Neil Gaiman's The Sandman - Dream of A Thousand Cats.

I'm glad I've kept blogging, for a lot of reasons. The continuity of it as a personal history of my artistic interest and endeavors is useful to me. Personally though, the publicness of it is sometimes challenging. I'm glad to have kept up some personal connections here by sharing my work and thoughts, etc. In this current era of influencer as a career choice, it's a bit odd to be off here in blog-land still doing my thing. But it works for me, and I'm really glad you're still here reading along.

2 comments:

Jaye said...

This is a great post! I remember to celebrate my blog's blogiversary sometimes, but not always. It is great to hear your thoughts and I agree, especially about the personal history. Thanks.

Julie Zaccone Stiller said...

Thanks! It's always nice to try and pause and reflect about the reflecting I suppose.