Friday, October 07, 2022

Fusible Shop


More fabric shopping happened, but I had kind of forgotten until the package showed up and surprised me. It had been nearly 3 weeks since I ordered. If you need something very fast, don't order from Missouri Star Quilting. They are not super fast on shipping, but they have a great selection. They did have something I saw in a lecture and wanted to try out. So these super on-sale fabrics landed in my shopping cart, free shipping at a certain $ point really works on me psychologically. 

A Tula Pink, a Kaffe Fasset, and two mum prints that I liked the colors of. Stacking them up together, it looks an intentional fabric pull for a quilt...hmmm. Usually my fabric choices in online shopping are rather random.

I also ordered another type of fusible batting that I've never tried, Quilter's Dream 80/20. And Missouri Star also carries American Made solids which I really like. One is just black, and the other is PFP white, prepared for printing. Since I'm doing this printing/quilting quilt I thought it would be worth a try.

This cute little canister is the reason for the whole order. It's sprinkle-able fusible powder, Free Fuse from Quilters Select. In one of the quickie lectures in the Global Quilt Connection sampler, I was really intrigued by the fabric fusing technique presented by Julia McLeod.

Now that I've been sewing more with solids I've encountered an annoying issue. Solids don't have the usual ID on the selvedge that prints have, so it's hard to tell who is who and which is which. Sometimes I'd remember and pin a little piece of paper with the info, but invariably those fall off.  So, I used my alphabet stitches and stitched it out right onto the selvedge. My plan is to cut from the other end first and once I get to the stitched area, I'll trim the label off, and baste it to the remainder pieces.


2 comments:

Jaye said...

I write on the edge of my solids with a sharpie. Of course, that doesn't work for dark fabrics, so your idea of stitch lettering is a good one. I also put the color on the selvedge, if I know it.

Julie Zaccone Stiller said...

I wonder if one of the metallic sharpies would work on the dark solids? Although they have weirder chemicals in them that hold the metallic paint that might interact with the fabric badly.