Monday, October 03, 2022

Arkansas Blocks

 


Two new SJSA blocks are in my hands and ready for stitching. I'm excited to get started because I haven't done this work in a little while. BAM has volunteered to help with a quick turnaround quilt that will end up getting displayed pretty quickly at the Clinton Presidential Library museum in Arkansas for the Women's Voices, Women's Votes, Women's Rights exhibit. 

Apparently these blocks were made by Arkansas locals, which is really kind of cool. I hope that some of the people who made them get to go visit the finished quilt while it's on display, just to see how their work looks when it's all assembled into a completed quilt.

These are rather glue-y and quite a bit more stiff compared to the other ones I've worked on in the past, so wish me luck on hand-stitching these blocks. Maybe they used a different sort of glue in the workshop?


3 comments:

Jaye said...

Some people at Sew Day used their machines to finish the blocks. I was surprised, because I thought it was handwork only. I also find it interesting that SJSA is expanding their reach.

Julie Zaccone Stiller said...

According to Cyndi, SJSA made an exception to the handwork rule because of the much accelerated turn-around time for these particular blocks. I'm starting out with hand embroidery and so far so good on the glue-y situation.

Jaye said...

Interesting. I didn't take one, so I didn't hear that.