Saturday, July 02, 2016

Stripes and Points


 I guess I took a lot of pictures at the vintage quilts at the SJMQT exhibit. But I'm sharing them here so I can remember them myself and why! And also in hopes that you might enjoy seeing them as well.  I have to say that it was really inspiring seeing these gorgeous pieces alongside Kaffe Fasset's wonderful work.

One of the most amazing things in the whole place was this beautiful quilt. First of all, the design is wonderful, the stripes and points and then the restful cream rectangles and squares.

But...can you guess what it's made with? Ribbon. The entire thing is ribbon. I believe it was all silk ribbon.
 All sorts of ribbon seamed together and arranged ever so artfully.
 Such a huge variety of ribbon all in one place.
 The center rectangle from far away just looked like a big piece of cream fabric, but no...it's all ribbon. And maybe there's some staining or dye migration but it makes it even more beautiful to me. I love it that someone had this thought so long ago of putting together all these scraps and making such a unique piece of art. It must have felt amazing to work with, all that silk, yum.



No comments: