Friday, July 29, 2016

1,710

 I finished the Tumbler finally! It's a charm quilt, and hopefully there are no repeats in the 1,710 tumbler shapes.

This thing was started way-back-when with the purchase of a Come Quilt With Me plexiglass template that I bought at PIQF at the same time my friend Jaye bought her hexagon template. She made an awesome Eye Spy quilt.

We decided to do a casual sort of joint project, so I also bought a hexagon and she bought a tumbler. Our plan was to cut shapes for each other out of our fabric stashes or new fabric purchases. It worked out pretty well, there's a huge variety in this quilt.
 This is for our California King bed, and it is quite frankly, the biggest thing I've ever made. I was really surprised at how BIG it is. It's a lot of work just handling the thing, ironing, moving it through the machine while I added on the last row.
These leftovers from when I evened-up the length of the rows ended up as part of the pieced back. It was kind of sad to see this project come to an end. I've been working on it for a very long time! I bought the template in October 2004. So much has happened in those years...
And yes, I realize it's not really done, once it's back from the quilter I'll have to sew down the binding, and add a label, but compared to the rest of the time I've spent on this project, it's pretty much done in my mind.

2 comments:

Jaye said...

It is such a great top! I can't wait to see it quilted. The pieces you put on the back look like they are from my stash.

Julie Zaccone Stiller said...

Thank you! I'm so pleased with how it turned out, and can't wait to see what Colleen does with it. Yes, I think most if not all of the ones on the back are from your stash. They were the leftovers after I evened up the rows.