Tuesday, April 09, 2024

Start of 3 I's

 

The challenge this year for the BAMQ group exhibit at the San Mateo County Fair is "Work In A Series". The details are to make four quilt blocks, minimum size 4x6", quilt size max 40" square. Here's my first pass quilt design in EQ8 for a 24" wide by 36"long quilt. I like this size, it'll match the other ones I've made in this size. The four "blocks" are quite big, sized at 11x17" unfinished with a small sashing all around. The quilt block I used is called "Ribbon Border".  The quilt will not necessarily be these exact colors. My main idea is each of the four blocks will be very different from each other, they'll only have the same block design. The quilt has a name before I even start sewing: The 3 I's (Ideation Iteration Implementation) 

Starting out with Ideation first, what forms concepts do I want to work with within the parameters. The main thing is each of the four blocks are different one from the other, but they must all four work together as a whole.
The first idea group for the four blocks that I'm starting with is to have the blocks be made as follows:
  1. All Prints
  2. All Solids
  3. All hand-dyes
  4. All black/white/grey
My second idea is:
  1. Each, or some of the, elements of the block design are pieced prior to using in the block
  2. Each element of the block design is machine embroidered in its own design before piecing or as part of quilting process
  3. All the pieces of the block are manipulated by tucks and folds and gathers before piecing
  4. All pieces are very different textures within a block
These two sets of ideas may combine as I proceed. I think the sashing fabrics will be letter/numbers fabrics. Such an orderly start to a creative project, usually I don't write it all down like this.
I've printed out a foundation piecing pattern.
And here's the first fabric choices for the block that will be all prints.


No comments: