Friday, February 23, 2024

Hourglass Begun

 

The new prompt for Project Quilting is Hourglass. That made me think of how a couple years ago I was trying out some Gelli Plate experiments and was quite pleased with this image of my desk hourglass that I drew and painted on the plate.
I printed that picture out on printer fabric and decided it needed some sort of frame. That meant it was time to make some hourglass blocks for the corners. I used this great pattern/tutorial to make them pretty easily out of my hand-dyes.
I used the technique of drawing two lines diagonally on a square using the Seams Easy tool and a Sewline marker.
Cut the square apart on the diagonal between the two stitched lines.
And then before moving the two pieces, cross cut again.
Ready to sew the pieces of the hourglasses together.

Trimming the blocks down to size, I happily re-discovered the criss-crossing 45° dotted lines on the end of a Quilter's Select ruler. Very handy.
The border needed something a bit muddier to tone down the brightness of the hourglasses vs. the printed out image. This is one of my all-time favorite ever dyed pieces, it's a linen/hemp woven checked fabric that was dyed and over-dyed again. Using this fabric is going to count towards an entry in the President's Challenge for BAM this year. Using the precious, I'm doing it. That's for tomorrow.


No comments: