Thursday, February 22, 2024

Suit Repair


Well, I've discovered exactly how long it takes me to remove and replace the leg hole elastics on a bathing suit. Three hours total, most of which was spent unpicking all the layers of stitching carefully enough not to make holes in the fabric. This was an experiment for me, in theory, it would have been much easier of course to just buy a new suit. But I wanted to see if I could do it or not. 
So many layers of stitching! This is a very well made bathing suit. I haven't worn it a lot, so it's not worn out (except for the failed elastic) or saggy and no seams coming apart.
This is just one leg hole's worth, that elastic is just totally kaput. Powdered and gross, and it smells So Strongly of chlorine.  I've rinsed this suit out in water every single time that I've worn it, but I guess I should do something else to neutralize the chlorine. I ought to know that from my surface design work of course, but I've tried to block out a lot of the bleach knowledge given the damage I did to myself using the stuff. Just like I don't carve pumpkins anymore. 
What a mess. I did all the unpicking of the second leg hole outside on the deck in the sun. Much easier to see, black thread on black fabric is getting tougher for me.  I pinned the layers of the lining fabric down as I unanchored it from the stitching.
It turned out great! Into the hot tub I go again. Now to research bromine/chlorine bathing suit wash recommendations.

No comments: