Friday, February 16, 2024

Two X's Question

The first design for getting some quilting done on the houses I came up with was to do two X's one for the "window" and one for the door, with the bottom of the door and the top of the two sides of the houses. It isn't quite enough stitching.
It's almost enough given all the free motion quilting around the house, as well as the horizontal line of walking foot quilting between the rows of houses.
But when there's no sky space between the houses, there's a hand's width of non-quilted space.
That's too big of a gap, I think. Also, I don't really look how floppy the sides and roofs of the houses look in comparison. But I don't want to do more free motion quilting and get really dense with it, this is a bed quilt after all and it needs to be soft and flexible. 

I bet if I washed and dried this quilt I wouldn't feel that way, most of this fabric is not pre-washed so it's going to shrink up at least somewhat. What would happen if I tried that and then re-evaluated the need for more quilting beyond the two X's? I don't think I've ever tried quilting then washed and dried and then went back to do more quilting. It seems kind of risky and I've spent a whole lot of time on this one already. Seems like I'm talking myself out of it, doesn't it?
 

No comments: