Friday, February 09, 2024

5-4-5-7 Finished!

After much hand sewing accomplished both by spotlight and regular light, my quilt for the Stretching Art & Tradition exhibit is now done and on its way to the coordinator. I'm so pleased with how this one turned out. You'll be able to see this exhibit at several of the Mancuso Bros. shows this year:

SAT24 Shows -

  • Mid-Atlantic Quilt Festival - Thursday, February 29 – Sunday, March 3, 2024
  • QuiltFest Greenville, SC – Thursday, April 18 – Saturday, April 20, 2024
  • Pacific International Quilt Festival – Wednesday, July 24 – Saturday, July 27, 2024
  • Pennsylvania National Quilt Extravaganza – Thursday, September 19 – Sunday, September 22, 2024


The title is 5-4-5-7, which is my shorthand for: 

5 gray fabrics in the background - 

4 lines in the machine embroidered # - 

5 hand stitches in a row - 

7 different green circles filled with grey embellished centers

The theme of this year's exhibit is Rhythm, so here's my artist's statement: There's a rhythm to my day, time that is spent consciously creating or goofing off and playing. All of it filling the work day in my work room. All of the regular ups and downs adding up to creating something new.
I like the look of this grey fleece with the freehand quilted design.
Most of these centers turned out to be quite different one from the other.
Some were more calm and restful like this just plain suede one.
Others were complex and interesting but still kind of calm.
Then there were the very layered complex ones. That's what I was trying to get at in my artist's statement. The rhythm of my days are compartmentalized into really distinctly different types of my work. They're all similar colors and shapes, but the sizes are very different. Most importantly no matter how difficult or challenging they are, they're still part of my whole day.
I really like this overlapping circles quilting that I did on this section. Reminder to self: do that again. Putting this in the "quilt motifs to repeat" category.
 

No comments: