Saturday, February 10, 2024

Fringing And Raveling


 I began work on my piece for Project Quilting 15.3, the theme of which is "Inside-Out". This is where I left off last night. I'm shooting for something about the same size of the previous two 8.5"x11"pieces, for Sky Color and Nest. That size was dictated by the use of a digital sketch printed out on fabric.
 The theme of Inside Out made me think of ravell-y raw edges. Which of course led to me going to the extreme of ravell-y goodness causing me to pull out my bin of smallish squares of silk and linens from FabMo. These are always so fun to work with as they act so much differently than plain ol' quilter's cotton.

I began stitching some of these pieces together with a kind of loopy machine embroidery stitch, with wrong sides together. I made sure to leave a lot of seam allowance and then spent a lot of time picking the threads to get it fringing and raveling right down to the line of stitching.

I'm using two different color threads in the top and the bottom for a little bit more color among the neutral fabrics.

This neat and tidy side is showing the wrong side for this piece as made so far. Although in any other context it'd likely be the "right" side. It's still somewhat interesting because of the different fabrics, the checks vs. stripes, but not nearly as much texture.  This piece is due to be posted by 8am tomorrow so I'll be hopefully finishing it off today.


No comments: