Thursday, February 15, 2024

A Drawing Board Of Sorts

 

Today in unnecessary products. Dry-erase index cards. I honestly have no idea why these were in my Amazon cart, I heard something somewhere or read it, and I ordered some out of curiosity. I think I need to start keeping better track of this as a lot of times I leave things in my cart for a month. Anyways, they showed up and I am stumped and intrigued just by the idea--much less the reality of this odd product. I truly do not understand the purpose of these things. They smudge, just like a dry erase board does. They never dry so these are not portable or for long-term or important use. Temporary use only.

I kind of like the colors,  the pens included with built in erasers are quite handy. But again, what are these for? Thinking of all the things I've used index cards (or dry erase boards) for over the years, mostly as homemade flashcards to study, for ICAD (index card a day), for making lists and keeping track, for labels in clear plastic boxes. None of those things would be accomplished by using this product. You can't write on them and then stack them up and carry the stack around in your backpack (and surely kids are using apps now for flashcard kind of memorization). Just a weird thing. 

I came up with two quilt related ideas, block designs, and to practice quilting designs.Of course you can do this on actual paper index cards, or scrap paper or whatever else just as well.

I sat down to try and figure out how to quilt inside the houses on my Village/Japanese Houses quilt. and I ended up drawing and erasing several times an idea for anchoring down the houses that have only been quilted around. It was fairly easy to prop it up next to my sewing machine as I tried out the final idea to refer to. And it helped to practice the directions of the lines a few times. Could I have just as easily done this on paper? Yes.

 Back to the drawing board though, as it's still not quite enough stitching for the houses that are right next to each other with no sky in-between. Guess I can erase and try again on the card.








No comments: