Monday, February 05, 2024

Design Wall Destruction

I went into my workroom yesterday and was greeted with this design wall destruction. At first I didn't know what I was looking at. The studio assistant pushed it a little too far on the climbing wall activities I guess. Nothing is broken or truly damaged. And thankfully I didn't have a project up there that had taken a lot of time to arrange and wasn't pinned up.


The storm was absolutely raging, but my DH went into Mr. Fix-It mode (just to have something to do I think) and headed out to the hardware store. Luckily he made it back just before the highway was closed down due to an enormous tree plus power lines coming down. He purchased a pine molding in an L-shape and showed me how it was going to be installed. He offered to stain/varnish one side and paint one side white (the part up against the white felt, but I thought both sides varnished would be fine. The quick-dry varnish actually dried so he was able to install it 
As neither of the panels is affixed to the wall at all, they are both just propped up within this frame that is attached. This solution was to screw the molding into the side frame pieces, flush on top of the felt-wrapped panels. So now they're pretty snug and held in tight, at least along those edges.

He's also going to put in a piece up along the top, but it has a different sized (and bigger) space between the panel and the frame trim. So that will require some wood-working power equipment to trim the piece of wood he bought down to the right size and shape to fit in the space. 


Here's how it looks, not at all distracting to my eye which is the main thing. There really isn't a way to attach the panels to the wall, so hopefully these two side pieces will help keep it all a little bit more stable for now. I don't want to have to forbid Korben free access to my workroom, but that may end up being the solution. 

Our power has now been out since yesterday afternoon so who knows how much more you'll hear from me over the next few days. Depends on when the internet goes down. We had one 22 mph wind gust yesterday afternoon, this is measured at the ground level, not up at the tree tops, more open spaces in Boulder Creek got up to 50mph! The amount of rain was a lot, 12" since 1/31, so that's some saturated ground at this point. No trees fell down this time, but a lot of big branches did. That's what I'm cleaning up today while the rain hopefully takes a break.

No comments: