Wednesday, November 29, 2023

Wandering Wednesday: Berkeley Rose Garden

 

Last weekend, we headed up to Oakland to visit our daughter and celebrate my DH's birthday. DD suggested we go walk around the Berkeley Rose Garden. So up to the hills of Berkeley we drove. It was a real treat to have all four of us in the car together. A real blast from the past!
I hadn't been to the rose garden in a very long while, and we luckily arrived a bit before sunset.
Truly gorgeous. So relaxing and removed from the hustle and bustle of the city. DD said when she first moved up to Oakland she used to drive up here to relax.

The rose garden is pretty well kept up, and easy to get around, but there are a lot of stairs.
The pathways are pretty wide so the roses have a little room to spread.

Awww, I like this.
My favorite rose picture of the trip. This variety had a little bouquet at the end of each stem.
Some of these color combinations were surprising. I was also surprised that so many of the rose bushes were still blooming. 
An almost fluorescent red here!
If I could move somewhere, it would be to this neighborhood. Then I could volunteer as a rosarian to help take care of the roses.
I really like the construction of the steep hillside amphitheater, rows upon rows of roses.
Big, blowsy, floppy, opened-up with a luscious scent.
The sunset was pretty red, so red that my two kids look like they're red-haired instead of brown.

No comments: