Wednesday, November 22, 2023

Tree Colors

I love driving around this time of year spotting the many varieties of Japanese Maple trees that people have planted in their yards. The variety of colors is always surprising, deep yellows, brilliant orange, sparkling reds. We find that ours changes a lot from year to year. I guess it depends a lot upon the temperature, the amount of water, and of course the soil composition. Around here, thanks to the redwoods we're usually on the acidic side of things. 

The tree as seen from my studio window (don't mind the dead palm fronds in the way, it just glows, especially in the foggy sun.
I couldn't help compare the color of our tree this year to some of the rusty reds I've dyed lately.

I like how different the tree looks when it's foggy or cloudy.
These fabrics really do echo the colors on the tree.
I tried taking a picture of the tree from the same spot every day or few days and plan to put them together into a little short video. More on that later.

These fabrics really do echo the colors on the tree.

I like this closeup of the wet leaves. Shows the variation of color within each leaf.

 

2 comments:

Jaye said...

That last photo is stellar!

Julie Zaccone Stiller said...

Thanks! I'm thinking of getting that one printed out to hang up.