Sunday, January 31, 2021

Cornucopia for January 2021


I've decided to try and do these cornucopia posts on a monthly basis this year. I'll collect links during the month that I find interesting or useful and then publish the post on the last day of that month. I'm even scheduling it, so it'll be a test for myself to see if I remember that I'm doing this, haha!

`*`*`*`*`*`*`

First up, from Selvedge Magazine - A collection of podcasts related to fiber (or fibre) arts, fashion and crafting in general. I haven't listened to all of these yet, but I'm working my way through them.

`*`*`*`*`*`*`

Just in case you're finding that your FitBit or other exercise tracker isn't encouraging enough, my DH and I are trying out Walk To Mordor because apparently we are even nerdier now than ever. Off to Mount Doom we go...

`*`*`*`*`*`*`

This article on embracing positivity in your daily art practice really struck me in the right place, seems like the right thing to center.

`*`*`*`*`*`*`

Visions Art Museum has been hosting great stuff for trying new things in lockdown, their Stir Crazy guides (well-named)  like this easy guide for dyeing with plants.

`*`*`*`*`*`*`

I didn't realize there was a Quilting Arts podcast, but here it is, and there's a crossover episode with a podcast from the Artist's Network called ArtBound.

`*`*`*`*`*`*`

I've always enjoyed Valerie Goodwin's map art quilts, and this is an excellent interview with her that has a lot of great examples of her work. That reminds me that I keep meaning to get her book on the subject, Art Quilt Maps.

`*`*`*`*`*`*`

I really enjoy receiving my Weekly Wake-up email from Leslie Rinchen-Wongmo, a Tibetan-Buddhist silk appliqué artist. The art work closeup in the email, plus the quote included are both always timely, inspiring and thought-provoking.

`*`*`*`*`*`*`

Chawne Kimber written up in the Washington Post!

`*`*`*`*`*`*`

A beautifully done online exhibit from the NorCal/Nevada SAQA, Stitching California is hosted through 2/14/21 via the Menlo Park Library. There's a playlist, there are coloring pages, it's a whole multi-media experience with an art quilt exhibit definitely worth your time.

`*`*`*`*`*`*`

This was super interesting, a visual history of handbags.

`*`*`*`*`*`*`

This article on the history of the usage and invention of dyes and their impact on water pollution n the UK was fascinating. I had no idea that the discovery of mauve had so changed the world!

`*`*`*`*`*`*`

The history of PIXAR as told in all their film's color scripts, a new phrase to me, is a beautiful illustration of how important color choices can be.

`*`*`*`*`*`*`

Here's a fascinating look at an art quilter's process, Leslie Gabriëlse making of Ocean Life.

`*`*`*`*`*`*`

A fiber arts show to enter:

Fiber Arts X - Sebastapol Center for the Arts - Entry Deadline June 7th

`*`*`*`*`*`*`

Note: "As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases."

2 comments:

Jaye said...

OMG! The handbag article is awesome. I love it, especially the bit about Margaret Thatcher bringing on quaking fear in male cabinet members when she fished around in her handbag. I also love those stand-up Launer handbags! I have never gotten the hang of switch handbags with my outfit, but I might have to work on that.

Julie Zaccone Stiller said...

I put that handbag article in there for you, because I thought you'd love it. Switching handbags was such a thing a few generations ago, I remember my mom and grandma doing it. I think there was a plastic gizmo that was an insert you'd put into a bag that held all your stuff so you could more easily do a quick-swap.