Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Wandering Wednesday - Filoli Gardens Again

As I sit here, soaking in the 4.5" of rain we had overnight, and the dark rain clouds are opening up again, the summit is covered in snow, it's nice to remember the very hot summer of last year. Returning to my pictures of the visit to Filoli Gardens that friend Jaye and I made on a day when it was 110F.  
This first picture is of the glorious Black-Eyed Susan's that were fully open and soaking up the sun.
There was an exhibit of looped wire sculptures, 'Rich Soil' by Kristine Mays installed in various places in the garden. They were haunting and thought-provoking contrasts to the colors and textures in the garden.
One of the many many gates leading from one garden 'room' to another.
The line-up of cypress hedges reminded me of Italy.
The working garden was fascinating, especially juxtaposed against the formal gardens through that archway.
A view from the top of the garden down the Allée of cypress.
Shade was hard to come by in the garden that day. 
The espalier on a wire fence of these fruit trees made a natural fence between the rest of the garden and the cypress allée.
Eucomis or Pineapple lily, this is a plant I want to try growing in my own garden. I love when gardens have informative signs like this. I bet they get asked about this one a lot, it's striking.
Love these seed heads, so soft and fluffy.
Naked Ladies! At Filoli, gasp! This is a different color than mine are though, much more of a red pink.
Hey, there's friend Jaye with her sun parasol.

 This garden was visibly suffering in the extended heat wave, just like we were.
Still so many more pictures left, I'll share them on some other rain day.

1 comment:

Jaye said...

We should go again in winter. I like there, but not when it is 110! It is a date I won't forget, though, especially for you.