Monday, January 18, 2021

New Fridge Happy Dance


 After all that effort of cleaning and re-cleaning after the fire evacuation, the Refrigerator of Doom has been replaced. It decided on New Year's Eve to stop being a refrigerator and just be a cabinet. Ahem. After two weeks of buying ice for our coolers and using a dorm fridge, the replacement was delivered last week. Halleleuia! Cue the Snoopy Happy Dance Music:


It was terribly exciting and honestly a little scary to have actual people in our house that aren't us. It's been quite a while because of the lockdown and all. The delivery guys were inside for less than 10 minutes. It's amazing how easy it is to move a refrigerator when you have the right tools and a team that knows what they're doing. Truly the most exciting thing to happen in months and months at our house, which says a lot about this era, doesn't it?

The water is good, and even better, the ice doesn't have that funky aftertaste that never really went away, so I'm really happy. And wow did I ever miss having ice water whenever I felt like it. That's how I drink most of my water during the day, and I think I was mildly dehydrated the last couple of weeks.

I'm not going to get into a big thing on planned obsolescence, but c'mon, that fridge didn't even make it to 5 years!! Having literal bells and whistles, well electronic songs at least, is not what we as consumers want or need. We want the big ticket item things that we buy to last. What a waste of metal and plastic and all the electronics that fridge was. It makes me agree even more with the premise of the Brave Little Toaster. 
We are feeling very lucky that we are in the position to be able to buy another appliance without a big problem, and to refill it with all the food we had to throw away. And that there was one available without a several month wait like there was right after the fire. Taking all this for granted has been a real eye opener for me. Fingers crossed that I'm not revisiting this subject in less than five years!

Now to figure out how to cut off the *(#*&%(#* plastic wrap without ruining the exterior.

No comments: