Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Wandering Wednesday - Filoli

 

Looking back to last year, there was one fun excursion I took that I didn't share on here. The day after the lightning storm that started the CZU fire, in the midst of a record heat wave, I met friend Jaye and went to Filoli Gardens for the first time. It was the first we'd seen each other in months and at a time in the Bay Area where the COVID restrictions were more relaxed. We wore masks, I carried a giant umbrella for some shade in the 100F+ heat, it was glorious. Within hours I was racing around my house and evacuating because of the fire.

I took a bazillion pictures and will share them over the next few Wednesdays. 
This first picture is of the side entrance gate, I love the reminder sign on it, this estate is right up against the mountains where a whole lot of deer live. 

There are so very many trees at Filoli, but the peeling bark of I think a Crape Myrtle was really striking and eye catching.
I think this pomegranate was a different variety than the one I have, but it gave me some ideas for pruning the rather out of control bush/tree in my garden.
The imperfection of this pruning made me stop in my tracks and  lol😁. In such a tightly controlled and managed place, the one little bit sticking out made me feel ever so much better about my own garden.
The bees were very busy all through the garden, it was the height of summer, so of course.
The gorgeous yew trees and the back of the house. 
There were so many faces in the statuary.
This one was a little bit eerie, vaguely demonic even ?!?

This enormous planter was really striking, what a beautiful design. Why don't they make stuff like this anymore?

1 comment:

Jaye said...

That was a great day! It was kind of overshadowed by your evacuation (rightly so). I am glad you are bringing it up again. I'd meet you there again in a heartbeat.