Thursday, March 31, 2022

March 2022 Cornucopia

 

This past month was...well, I'm imagining it was really quite something. I'm writing this on 2/28, and I'm hoping that we're all still here and online by the end of March. The prospect of nuclear war happening is suddenly quite real again, and my Gen X heart has quickened with the all-too-familiar fear of my teenage years. May all leaders who possess the ability to end life on earth come to their senses and stop with the threats. This is my hope being sent in to the the future.  I have no idea how much worse it's gotten in Ukraine over the month, it's hard to imagine based on the first five days of the insane war that Putin has chosen to wage. 

**I may or may not delete the above paragraph depending on what has actually occurred.**

*I left the above in as a reminder to myself that my worst case scenario is not always the one that occurs.*

Anyways...over the past month I've been distracting myself with all of this, hopefully some of it will be useful, helpful, or inspiring to you.

#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#

A lot of Ukraine war related charity efforts have sprung up, here's a couple:

Pat Sloan created a great star within a star block design and started a hashtag as well: #QuiltersStandForUkraine . She's asking for donations to Unicef which has a big presence on the ground to help the people fleeing the war in Ukraine.

A Lightning Round of Demos by Quilters for Ukraine on April 23.

#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#

By now you've mastered Wordle, and maybe you've tried Quordle, but how about Heardle? It's kind of like the old game show Name That Tune.

#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#

I've used Goodreads for years and years now (since 2006!) to keep track of the books I read or want to read, but I've finally jumped onto Letterboxd where I can track the movies I watch and want to watch (and I watch a Lot of movies). It's pretty similar to Goodreads, you can read random people's reviews, follow film critics or people you know who also love film/movies. Btw, saying "Film" is so pretentious sounding to me, it's just "the movies" in my mind, but that's how the discourse goes.

#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#

Hey! If you're over 50 (and in the US) go get your second Covid booster shot! It's just been approved by our FDA this week and will be so important to maintaining the protection you've got from getting ill from Covid, ending up hospitalized or dying.

#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#

Ahhh, this baby bonnet is so adorable, and looks pretty easy. Maybe I'll make a matching one for the baby I'm making the quilt for?

#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#

One of my very favorite bands of all time is The Decemberists, and the lead singer, Colin Meloy has just started a Substack like one does now? It's time for blogging to be new again? 

#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#

Artist Jeff Koons is going to be the first artist whose work goes to the moon? Unfortunately it's an NFT project, but otherwise, still pretty cool to be the first.

#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#

Our next Supreme Court Justice (hopefully!), Ketanji Brown Jackson testified to the Senate Judiciary Committee during her confirmation hearing about how she took up the fiber arts to deal with stress. Of course it was the art quilt zoom background displaying, Senator Mazie Hirono who asked the question and talked about how creativity is important to dealing with a quickly changing world.

#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#

2 comments:

Jaye said...

Thanks for this post. Try not to worry; try to live your best life every day. The message I send out to the universe is "coup". For better or worse. Hugs.

Julie Zaccone Stiller said...

I'm trying my best not to worry, I got over the worst case scenario thinking pretty quickly and fell back into the standard Gen-X way of not dealing with it, like an old well-worn groove, Coup is a great word to send out there. Russia has done it before many many times. I keep thinking about that Geography of the USSR class that we took at Cal.