Sunday, March 20, 2022

Procreate Class



I'm taking an online class in Procreate offered through Carla Sonheim with artist Lewis Rossignol. I really like the platform that Carla has created, the classes are presented very professionally and clearly, it's all very easy to use. In this class, Lewis is showing us how he combines digital and paper work together. It's so interesting to see how this is done and get to know how to use this powerful program just a little  bit more. 

The above was my starting point drawing of a face. No laughing, please! I haven't drawn a whole lot lately, and haven't drawn a face in quite a long time.

After watching the first lesson I did the work on my iPad outside because it was so nice. We used a separate scan program to get the image into Procreate and then the fun really began. The power of layers (just like in Photoshop) was brought home to me once again. 

I like a lot of things about my picture so far. And some I really don't, which is easy to replace/erase or transform in Procreate. The possibilities are endless with this program, which is a big part of the reason I've never gotten too far into learning a digital drawing program, that endlessness is frankly rather paralyzing to me. But I'm diving in and trying to push myself to get a little further along this time. 

I found that the Apple Pencil was a little hard for me to hold for very long at a time because it's quite slim. I got myself a barrel grip thing and it really helps my hand. That's what that red thing is on the white pencil.

3 comments:

Cindy said...

I just shared this post with the PVQA small group which is working on sharing information about digital programs for fiber artists! Are you a PVQA member?
Hope you don't mind that I shared this with the group. I look forward to seeing more of what you do!

Jaye said...

I am so thrilled that you are learning this program. I have a couple of programs I use that have endless capabilities. I just use what I use and am ok with that. Don't think about the endlessness

Julie Zaccone Stiller said...

Thanks for sharing the post Cindy, I hope that PVQA members check out the class if they're interested. No, I'm not a PVQA member. That's a good point about ignoring the endlessness, Jaye, thanks.