Monday, October 05, 2009

Pumpkins To Go

I'm finding images of pumpkins all over the place these days. This is a freebie from Dover Books from Mother Goose (Peter Peter Pumpkin Eater).
I love that orange don't you? So filled with the sun's glow. And I've always found the idea of a pumpkin big enough to fit inside of rather intriguing. That might make an interesting collage or journal page, hmmmm.

So far in my garden this year I have one pumpkin that is about 5 pounds so far, but is very dark green at this point. I don't know if it will achieve the desired shade of orange in time for carving up for Halloween or not. There are also a couple mini pumpkins growing and they're about at a yellow-peachy level at the moment. We had our first frost this morning so I don't know if that helps or hurts as far as the color change, like it does with fall leaves.

I think it is finally time to buy some pumpkins for decorations around here since the garden was a big FAIL this year. Oh well. I'll try to plant earlier next year to give the pumpkins long enough to orange up.

1 comment:

Laume said...

I didn't plant any pumpkins or other large vine-y plants this year, but they volunteered in my compost and when I pulled back the dying vines last week I discovered ... well, I didn't count them yet but... about a dozen different kinds of pumpkins and squashes! So excited!