Monday, October 12, 2009

A Pink Blogger's Quilt Festival



This is such a fun idea for all of the quilters who can't make it to "The Show" in Houston, a Blogger's Quilt Festival (click there for links to almost 500 quilter's posts about their quilt).
Also if you like to look at Flickr slide shows instead of visiting blogs, you can check out some of the quilts that have been posted over at the Blogger's Quilt Festival Group Flickr Pool.

It was hard to chose which quilt to post for this, but I decided to post an older one that I don't think I've talked about since I started blogging.



"I Guess I Like Pink After All" is from 2003, it is 51x51"

It is made with cotton fabrics that I have dyed or painted and free motion quilted in rayon thread.

The story behind the making of this quilt is that I was new to dyeing and having trouble getting a good red fabric dyed. It would look great until I washed out the fabric, then ack! Pink! A whole lot of my attempts ended up in various shades of pink. Mostly because I was being stingy and cheap about using enough dye powder. I have since figured it out and can now dye a good deep red, but I had ended up with a whole lot of pinks clodging up my dyed fabric "paint box".
I really do not like pink very much. I've had to wear pink bridesmaid dresses, the sorority I joined in college used pink as its main color and during the power suit 80's I was told I looked great in pink so I had pink blouses (with ties of course!) and yes even a pink suit with matching pink pumps. Aieeee, really.
So over the years I got tired of pink being foisted on me when I didn't really like the color very much as a color. It meant wishy washy, too feminine and girly (so not me) and not intense and passionate enough like my favorite reds. Well, after making this quilt, I realized that I guess I do like pink after all. It is a happy, healing and supportive color. It can be challenging to wear a lot of it, even if I do look good in it, but during the creation of this quilt I remember smiling a whole lot as I worked with this cheery color. I haven't made another pink quilt, because now I'm just about completely out of pink. That's ok, I know how to make more.

10 comments:

Mom said...

Nice quilt, and I DO like the pink!

Thankd for sharing,
Margaret
www.quiltsoflove.blogspot.com

Deborah said...

ah, those power suits of the 80s. For some reason my ties were mostly red and they are now part of my quilting stash and in quilts. Love your pink quilt!

Rebekah said...

Beautiful! I love the subtle variations of pink and the quilting that you did.

jovaliquilts said...

Interesting quilt, love the quilting! Boy, do I hear you about PINK -- it's so not my color. I received a pack of 8 pink fat quarters but was fortunate to find a friend to trade with.

Kathy said...

Your pink quilt is very nice. I see that the quilting is quite dense and I do like the shine of the rayon thread. Thanks for sharing it.

Anonymous said...

lol Love the title, and the quilt!

Allie said...

Great quilt and a fun story!

Rene' said...

I like pink so of course love your quilt. The fabrics are beautiful and love the design. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Cute story! I love the variety of pinks that you have come up with :)

Casey said...

It's a beautiful quilt. The colors are gorgeous.