Tuesday, October 03, 2023

Wedge Quilt Class

 My Studio Assistant and I took a BAMQ class from Christina Camelli about making wedge quilts. He was mesmerized watching people in the class sewing on the iPad screen. 

He was very helpful in making sure I mixed up the color choices as I went to end up with some random variety.
Before the class, I bought a non-slip 9° ruler, which was super helpful when used along with the template provided by Christina. I decided to use fabrics that I wasn't super invested in for the work done in class, just to try out the techniques and not be worried about "wasting" precious fabrics.
I also bought her book on the topic, Wedge Quilt Workshop, which is a great how-to on this type of quilting.  I bought the actual book instead of the kindle version because I wasn't clear on whether the templates were included.
Note to self: My next wedge project will be using this dotted ombre´ fabric.

After getting the wedges cut out, it was all about assembling them in sections and then trimming to make sure the unit measures 45°. How exciting to get to use the 45° lines on my cutting mat for the first time.
 
And then when two units are joined up, the result measures 90°. This helps to make a full 360° circle that hopefully lays flat.

I'm almost done with the circle, and then the fun comes in getting the appliqué of the circle to the background done.

2 comments:

Jaye said...

You could use a Clammy to cut a background circle, then sew the wedge piece inside it. Depends on the size of the Clammy you have. I have a 12" you can borrow.

Julie Zaccone Stiller said...

That's a great idea, I'll see if my Clammy will work or not.