Tuesday, October 17, 2023

Class With Uzoma Samuel

This was my view in the front row of Fabric Portrait class with Uzoma Samuel, who came all the way from Lagos, Nigeria to teach at PIQF.  The wonderful friend-Jaye-made bag and a bag of fabric "in great variety" as per his supply list. I thought it was interesting that we didn't need to bring a photo of someone we wanted to do, or a background piece of fabric, or anything to draw on fabric with.
And then we were all handed a piece of artist canvas with the same portrait sketched onto it by our teacher. Each one was done individually, so they were all slightly different. 
Here's Uzoma zooming in on the eye and talking about how if you don't get the eyes right, your portrait won't really represent the individual person you're trying to portray. He had a lot of great advice about how to go about this. I liked that he had this projector with the actual photo, it was so great to have it to refer to the whole time. And then being able to zoom in on the different features was very useful.

Here's how my eyes started out. We didn't measure or trace at all, we used what he called "eye-gauge", you look at the photo you're working from and cut the shape you're working on. Just like when you draw.

It really was time consuming, finding the right shades to represent the 3-d-ness of the forehead.
Here's where I ended up. My left side of the nose got a little lost, so  I may go back and switch out some of the fabrics.
We all put our work up on the wall and it was fascinating to see how different they all were.
Some of the students had a selection of fabrics that were pretty challenging to work with in this context, but everyone gave it a real try. The other students were all really helpful and fun to be in class with, I found it very enjoyable.
I'm so glad I got to take this class, Uzoma Samuel had recently taught some classes in the Bay Area through the SJSA as detailed in the Bay Area issue of Quiltfolk, but I wasn't free. I'm so happy that he came back to the area to teach at PIQF.

Using this detailed approach to making a portrait is so different than other types of faces I've made in fabric. It's trying for more realism than I usually attempt or want to do. Maybe I'll re-do the small piece I did twenty-three years ago of my grandma in this method.

No comments: