Wednesday, May 25, 2022

Wandering Wednesday: Port Townsend

 

I was so excited to finally get to show my DH around Port Townsend. It definitely helped that we lucked out with several sunny days to enjoy it.
We stayed in a really lovely stand-alone cottage we found on Airbnb, that's the main house off to the right. It had a lovely garden that was all abloom with the usual Pacific North West flowers like rhododendrons . 
The cottage had a double door (a dutch door?) with a very cool arch over it. DH was impressed with the great woodwork in the cottage, there were a lot of custom details.
Our first night there, we walked out onto the PT City Dock right off of downtown to take a look at the sunset. I really like the colors in this vignette.

This is a very uneven and thus sort of uneasy panoramic view of the water, to the right is Port Townsend Bay, the land visible across the water is Marrowstone Island and to the left is where Puget Sound meets the Salish Sea which eventually meets the Pacific..
The ruins of the moorings of the original ferry dock slowly crumbling into the sea. Interesting that they took the dock down because it was falling apart and very unsafe, but left this. You can't tell me that PT teens don't dare each other to swim out to this and climb around on it in the summertime.
Big ships off the coast in the distance. I think if I lived in PT with a view of the shipping lanes, I'd need a good set of binoculars.
We had one of the best dinners of the trip, was at a cute little place called Tommyknockers Cornish Pasty. That's a Cornish pasty with the knife stuck in it, they had so many different variations on the usual, even a vegan one. And in the foreground is one of the best salads ever. The Washington Apple Salad had really fresh local fresh greens, walnuts, big chunks of gorgonzola, dried cranberries,brumbled bacon, Apple Cider Vinaigrette and chunks and slices of various Washington apples. Beautifully presented and so so good.

I wish I'd taken pictures of the enormous mob of deer that inhabited the residential district, there were around 20 deer that seemed to live on (and in) people's gardens. One lawn had ten deer curled up and sleeping, they didn't spook or take off as we walked by like our deer do. I guess that they're completely used to being around lots of people. These are city deer I guess. I didn't take a lot of pictures because it was people's front yards and that felt too nosy. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing all the lovely old houses and their gorgeous gardens. Even the sidewalk was beautiful thanks to the cherry tree blossom.

2 comments:

Jaye said...

I always understood a Dutch door to be one that was split in half horizontally around waist level, so you could see out, but have some control of people coming in. I love the look of the food you show, but probably couldn't eat it. Also, more clouds!!!

Julie Zaccone Stiller said...

Yes, that's what the Dutch door is as far as I know, I don't know why I wrote "double door" doesn't make sense to me now. That restaurant had some GF options, but that salad wouldn't have worked for you at all. Soooo many clouds.