Tuesday, May 24, 2022

Return of the Pins

 
All the 8" circles are sewn down on friend Adrienne's orange backgrounds for the Orange You Glad bullseye project and my pins are back on the pin holder. 

This photo is taken with the "portrait" setting on my phone, it blurs the background pretty well. I like the look of it. I took it from this angle to emphasize why the next step in the bullseye is important. You see how the stack (especially the one on the left) is angled up toward the corner opposite the orange? That's the result of the extra layer of fabric adding up in bulk. 

It's fun to play around with these, and check out all the color/pattern combinations.
Time to trim out the background circle. With the ironed-in folds, it's pretty easy to see how to start, there's one that's a "mountain" sticking up, I pinch that fold about 1/2" away from the sewing line, tug down the sewn on circle on the front, and make a little snip to insert the scissors. Then I cut around in a rough circle (no templates needed here) around a 1/2" way from the sewing line.
Now the block is much closer to a single layer of fabric. 
Memo to me: Make sure to use the scissors that have a rounded tip, not the double pointy stabbers. Not much fun having to replace the circle you've sewn on because you've cut into it. 

5 comments:

Jaye said...

OMG! I am behind. I plan to work on this project this weekend and get it ready to send on Tuesday with the other packages I need to mail.

Your work looks great. Lots of good photos.

Jaye said...

Also, I used this post in my class last night to explain the process. Thanks for getting so much done so fast!

Don't you have applique' scissors?

Julie Zaccone Stiller said...

You weren't behind, I don't think either of us cares too much if you get it sent out a little past the "deadline". Thanks, I hope you found good matches with your fabric stash.

Julie Zaccone Stiller said...

I'm glad you used my post in your class, I hoped it helped. I do have appliqué scissors, but they don't fit my fingers very well so I don't often use them.

Jaye said...

I'm glad you have a pair. Even mine are a little small for my hands, so I get what you are saying. I have the blue handled scissors you show in the picture and they are super sharp and great for cutting out applique